Sunday, August 1, 2010

We landed safely!

The flight took a total of 16 hours.. much longer than we expected. Updating this blog is going to be much harder than i thought because we have NO internet access anywhere! Today, we went to the market where we got to bargain with the locals and buy some fun souvenirs. It was really eye opening to see the way locals live out here... The first night in from the airport, we were waiting on the side of the road in our taxi van (where we fit 13 people in it) and a little boy around the age 13 or 14 came up to the window and asked for a dollar. It reminded me of my little brother who is 14 and it breaks my heart to think kids his age are having to beg for money just to live..

SO after the market, we went to a place called "Little Ahope" which is an orphanage for little kids who have HIV/AIDS. It's so sad to know they have a terminal illness but it made us want to love on them all the more. There was one little boy that took to me and followed me around. I wish I could've pronounced his name and remembered it! But Amharic and all of the local names are impossible to remember. The little kids have such a hard life with the HIV/AIDS but they were the most joyful group of kids I've ever met in my life. They are such an example of how we should live for the day and for the Lord, not worrying about what we own in our name... And I feel so humbled being around them! We have two translators.. Kiddy and Basil, they're so great and they help out a ton.

Tomorrow, we are traveling to Nazret where we will stay with the "Woman at Risk". These are the woman who were taken out of prostitution/trafficking and put into a rehab program that teaches them life skills to make money for themselves. They make scarves, paintings, sculptures, etc... We are going to have a spa day for them, so we'll be doing manicures, pedicures, facials- Africa style.

These past 48 hours have been SO eye opening. We don't have running water at the house we are staying at right now and we had to go to another team's house to take showers (because we hadn't in two days-woopssss). There are little kids running around with no shoes holding water buckets to earn money washing people's feet. There are loads of people living in little shacks on the side of the road. It makes me feel so blessed in what I have and I can only hope we can spread Christ's name so they can experience the joy we do.

PLEASE keep praying for our team. I'm exhausted and it's day two. Thanks again for the prayers!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment